Friday, January 22, 2010

A Not-So-Vegas Kind of Day

Wow - I almost feel like I'm not in Vegas anymore. It has rained every day this week, with the possibility of more today. Yesterday it rained and rained and rained. It never does that. When we are lucky enough to get rain, it typically clouds up, pummels us with rain for 10 minutes tops, then the clouds quickly dissipate and the sun reappears. Rarely, ever so rarely, does it rain for the entire day. Where do I live, Seattle??


This morning the ground was wet and big, fluffy gray clouds blanketed the sky, the air was crisp and clean with a bit of a breeze blowing, but it wasn't raining. So, I bundled up Ben and myself, grabbed the stroller, and we went for a walk. I can see these mountains when I walk out my front door. The rain in our little valley resulted in snow-dusted desert mountain tops.


My Walking Buddy!




I remember one year - probably 20 years ago - when we had a wet winter like this. It resulted in the most beautiful wildflowers blooming throughout the desert in the spring. Road trips to California and Utah were actually entertaining as we looked for all the hues of green and yellow, mixed with bits of purple and pink. You gotta love a bit of color in an area where the color variation is about as diverse brown and tan! Perhaps this spring will be the same - keep your fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Janae said...

Beautiful flowers would be a definite bonus to the rain! Cute Ben photos:)