Sunday, January 31, 2010

Birthday Month Again

Isn't it kind of strange how so many families end up with one month that has more birthdays than any other in the year? In the Wallace family it is November and in the Zobrist family - it's January. Of course, the fact that five out of six of my parents kids were all born in January has a lot to do with that! Every year as soon as we say good-bye to Christmas we say hello to birthday presents, cake, and non-stop celebrations. Frankly, I am "birthday-caked" out! We started the month with a family pot-luck and birthday cake to celebrate everyone's (who lives in town) big day in January. Sadly, whoever ordered the cake forgot to include Brad's name. I added it, but I guess the picture was taken before. Sorry honey - it's not that you're easy to forget or anything . . . it's just that there's so darn many of us! In January we said "happy birthday" to Jared, Vivien, Grandma Zobrist, Mike, Dawnae, Me, Mom, Brad, and Janae!

The highlight of birthday month was the arrival of a new nephew and yes, the addition of yet another January birthday. Baby Owen Douglas Erickson was born on January 15, 2010 to Janae and Doug. Several of us were hoping he would make an entrance on our birthday, but with all the possible January birthdays, he chose to come on his very own day and does not have to share it with anyone. Owen joins 5 big sisters in the Erickson household - Wow!! Ben can hardly wait to teach him how to play, and Owen will be need some training from a fellow member of the male species since he is surrounded by girls. He and Ben have that in common - though Owen has 2 more sisters than Ben - lucky boy!



My birthday was on a Sunday, and my dad wanted to know if I wanted anything special for my birthday dinner. I am at a point in my life where I want very little fanfare and if I could, I would skip the day entirely. So - my first reaction was "no, nothing special." Then I thought - "well if you're asking - how about prime rib?? I just didn't get enough of it at Christmas" (my dad makes the best prime rib!) I didn't know if I would get it or not, but I went to my parents house for dinner and my dad had the prime rib all ready to carve. I am a lucky girl, I know!

(obviously I caught my dad in a weird-face-making moment, but oh well, I'm posting the pic!) along with one of my yummy birthday dinner.


I can't tell you how many pictures we took to try to get one of me and my kids. They are not the most cooperative! If I never got another birthday gift the rest of my life, it would be OK because I have the greatest gift of all - being mom to these fabulous kids!


After dinner Madi and I went to stake choir practice to get ready for our upcoming stake conference then we went back to my parents for cake. My mom, totally on the sly, also invited several friends from our ward to come to her house for a little surprise for me. Even though I really don't even want people to know when it is my birthday, it was a fun evening. Thanks mom!

My kids think I'm weird for posting a picture with my eyes shut - but really I'm just checking out my cake - and I kinda like the picture.


Brad was born 9 days after me - (he is such a cradle robber!) The extent of the celebration involved a lively rendition of "Happy Birthday to you", some cake, some recycled balloons (from my birthday), and the opening of his very exciting gift - a new griddle for making pancakes.



So glad to say good-bye to birthday month! When is your family's "birthday month?"

3 comments:

Melanie said...

In our family it is March and May is a close second, although my mom is a true Zobrist being born in January. Happy Birthday LaRae!

Janae said...

oh my the fun birthday month...can you believe I added another one to the bday month? I'm so glad he's here but February or March would of been nice:) it's craziness! Glad you had a good one the prime rib looks very yummy:) Brad's cake look's very yummy too!

Linda said...

Can you believe I've never had prime rib? Not much of a beef fan, and the "rare" really puts me off. That looks pretty good,though. Someday I'll have to get more adventurous. Sounds like you had a really fun birthday month.