Monday, January 11, 2010

Totally Independent? Not Quite

When you're just 2 months shy of your 4th birthday, you think you're capable of conquering the universe, or at least conquering your own little world. After all, you're almost four years old! Do you need help opening the car door? Absolutely not! Do you need help buckling your car seat? Are you kidding? No way! Would you like a little help putting on your shoes or choosing an outfit to wear? Not on your life!

Yep - you're pretty self-sufficient in many ways. Even when you are in a difficult predicament, I can hear you say to yourself, "don't even think about helping me pull this tight-fitting shirt over my head. I would much rather scream in complete frustration and suffer near-suffocation than allow you to help me remove this shirt that is stuck around my Wallace head." Spreading a little butter on a serving of rice for you or helping you into the car is grounds for a complete "re-do" in which you need a new pile of rice so you can spread the butter yourself or you insist on getting out of the car so you can get back in on your own.

Yes, my dear, you are quite the independent soul, but when your blanket takes a trip to the washing machine . . .







You pretty much fall apart!
Don't worry, it will be our little secret!

6 comments:

Janae said...

Oh my...that blanket washing looks like trauma;)Poor Ben I hope he recovered from this quickly for both your sakes:)
So glad to see a new post!

Melanie said...

Poor Ben! It's tough to be independent when you still need your blankie. I babysat a 3yo girl last week who was determined to make scrambled eggs with cheese "all by myself". It took everything I had to convince her to let me "help".

Something Special said...

This is one of the cutest posts I have read in a while. He reminds me so much of Ty when he was little. Only Ty wanted me and only me to do things for him. If any one else tried to help him he would come unglued. And then there was of course the phase of having to take all of his bedding every time we got into the car. Those stubborn little guys are so wonderful though, aren't they?

Janet Patrice said...

That is the cutest thing I think I "heard" all day!!

Staci Leach said...

FLIPPIN adorable!

Linda said...

I love it when you write about your daily life. So entertaining and touching.