Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The life of a misunderstood toddler

Isn't it true that when you encounter a conversation with a 2-year-old who is not your own, you usually understand some, but not all of what is said? But, when talking to your own little toddler, you usually comprehend 80-90% of what comes out of his or her mouth? For example, you may not know exactly what Ben means when he say the words "meemul, deetee, lalano, pictures, secacise, mokey, lauder, beagle, fop fops, or dabid cheddachedda" but I do. Anyone care to guess? I'd love to hear your guesses and then I'll give you the translations in another post.


Anyway, despite your best efforts, there are still the times when your child absolutely knows what he wants and you are clueless.

Case in point -

This morning Ben and I were on our last 2 miles of a rather lengthy training walk. Ben was more than done with the walking & had strongly protested just a few minutes earlier when we passed the entrance of our neighborhood but continued to walk so I could get in that "last 2 miles"! I tried to appease him with a graham cracker & that worked for a few minutes. Yet, rather than eat the graham cracker, Ben decided to break it into little pieces, resulting in his torso being covered with bothersome graham cracker crumbs. He told me his tummy hurt - yes, it probably did considering the itchy crumbs that were starting to invade the top of his diaper. I had to stop and clean up the crumbs. I was tired - I was hot and sweaty - I was irritated - I wanted to finish & rest my feet & legs - I did not want to deal with graham cracker crumbs. I unbuckled Ben, removed him from the stroller and brushed him off, making sure that he understood he would be right back in the stroller as soon as the crumbs were taken care of. The following exchange ensued -

Ben - "Mom, I wanna walk."

The Mama - (while brushing the crumbs out of the stroller) - "No Ben, it's too dangerous. There's a busy street and 2-year-olds have to ride in strollers."

Ben - "Mom, I wanna walk."

The Mama - (still brushing the crumbs out of the stroller & not looking up at Ben) - "Sorry, Ben, I told you it's too dangerous. You have to ride in your stroller.

Ben - "No, Mom, I wanna WOCK"

The mama looks up to find Ben picking up rocks from the landscaping next to the sidewalk, and she finally understands.

The mama - "OH - you want a ROCK! Sure buddy, you can have a rock. Let's buckle you back in the stroller."

Ben (happy he's finally understood) - "OK"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

debed chedda chedda is clearly David Archuleta. He goes by some other names around our house too…

Here's some more guesses:

secacise = exercise
fop fops = flip-flops

Kristy said...

I remember when I use to have translate what my children were saying even to my husband!! What a fun age. Wende's little boy calls me gigi.....close to Kristy.

Amy Brindley said...

I was thinking about this very topic today when Mason was yelling at me from the top of the staris, "Do you?" Do i what? He kept yelling, "Do you?" Finally I yelled back yes. And then it was over. I still don't know what that was all about!

Janae said...

Oh that Benny boy:) I am so glad he finally got his wock!
The life of a two-year old...so sweet:)

Steph Brackett said...

That is so funny! I'm thinkin lalano is PIANO, and fop fops are FLIP FLOPS, but those are the only two I can remotely guess at. I still remember Reagan wanting a ninitowel and continuing to ask for one - and David and I were at a loss for what it was she was asking for. Thank goodness for big sisters... Haley: "Mom, she wants her hair in a ponytail!!!"

Linda said...

Okay. Here are my guesses.
meemul-people, deetee- number "one" (Well! That's what Maddie's pediatric urologic called it!)
lalano - gelato,secacise - exercise
mokey - I should know this, but it's not coming
lauder-water?
beagle-bagel
fop fops- flip flops,
dabid cheddachedda - never would have guessed this one if I hadn't accidentally read the first comment above, but...of course! I love trying to decipher toddler-talk.

Anonymous said...

I wanna wock - that's a good one. My son was also enamored with rocks when he toddled. Fun age.

Janet Patrice said...

....so what did Ben say? I am not good at baby talk.