Friday, June 6, 2008

Building a Playground

Chances are, you've never participated in an Amish barn raising. Neither have I. However, I was recently able to participate in something that I think is just about as miraculous and inspiring. You have been wondering about this - I know you have, and I am finally taking the time to share. During the last week in May, I was one of many volunteers who helped build a new playground for our school in just 5 days. There were no prefabricated sections to be put together on this playground - it was entirely handmade by parents, teachers, and other friends of the school. The most envigorating part of the entire process for me was that I was not on the sidelines preparing and serving food for the men (which would have been the case had I been part of an Amish barn raising). No, I was using power tools alongside my husband, and father-in-law, and other moms. I was in the thick of it all, shoveling, getting sweaty and dirty, feeling exhausted at the end of the day with aching muscles, and I loved every minute of it. Our new playground is one-of-a-kind. It was designed by a committee of parents, teachers, & children from our school especially for our school. Leathers Associates from New York, helped the committee design, plan, and finally build the playground.

I showed up to the school playground last Wednesday morning, ready to work, and our playground looked like this (notice Brad, wearing blue, checking out what's going on). I helped set some of these posts in the ground, making sure they were "plumb" (or level).


Granddaddy Ken came to town specifically to help on the first day of the playground build. I do believe he rounded the edges of almost every piece of building material used to construct the playground. We are so thankful that he made the trip and that his grandchildren can tell their friends, "my granddad helped build this for us!"


oh wait - maybe granddad came specifically for the Krispie Kreme donuts :)



My first power tool experience - using an electric impact wrench, used to secure "lag" bolts. By the time the playground was complete, I become somewhat proficient at using and electric drill and electric screwdriver. I also did my share of hauling building material, shoveling, and construction clean up.


The playground changed with each day's work, and it was intriguing to watch the progress day by day. Volunteers were at the school, working various shifts from 7 am to 9 pm. I had initially planned to work only one day, but I found the project to be so gratifying that I was compelled to return every day. I have volunteered a lot at the school, but this was the most rewarding volunteer project I have ever had the privilege of being a part of.




The school took great care of its volunteers. They provided activities for the children when parents volunteered during the evening & weekend hours. Here Lacey "soap" screws used to build the playground. The soap is used to help the screws go in easier and give the children something they can do to help build the playground. The school also provided lunch & dinner for volunteers during the five days.


Ben was also cared for at the school while I volunteered during school hours. He went to Katie's classroom one morning & Lacey's classroom for 2 mornings. He particularly enjoyed Lacey's classroom. The first day, Ms. Rosie proclaimed that Ben's behavior was suitable for modeling as she pointed out to the other children that she really liked the way Ben was sitting quietly in circle. The 2nd morning, we walked into the classroom & I knelt down to tie Ben's shoes, then I told him to head to circle. When I looked up in time to watch him run straight into Ms. Rosie's lap and sit there quietly as she started the day with the other children. I think Ms. Rosie hopes Ben will be in her class in a couple of years!

This is the rock climbing wall. The art teacher & volunteer moms painted the continents for the climbing wall. It is patterned after puzzles of the continents found in a Montessori primary (ages 3-6) classroom.


The last day of the playground build was Sunday, June 1st. We didn't help build on that day, but we did go over after church to participate in the picnic and ground breaking ceremony. Brad and I worked all day Wednesday and then I went back on Thursday & Friday mornings. We also spent our Friday & Saturday evenings working on the playground. Honestly, it was addicting. We just had to be a part of the ground breaking. In this picture, Ben & Brad sit with friends from our ward, Lars & Warrick Evensen. With their curly blonde hair, Ben and Warrick are often mixed up by members of our ward.


For the ground breaking ceremony, the children made a paper chain that encircled the entire playground. When they were given the "ok" from our school's director, they broke the chain and rain onto the playground. (In this picture, Katie is in the brown dress.)


Lacey anxiously awaits a chance to initiate the new playground.



As parents, we choked back tears, watching the children joyfully swarm the playground. After so many hours of hard, hard work, this was the reward.



Ben just loved the wood chips . . .


. . . and then he discovered the slide.


Even "old" Madi had to give the playground a try. She can be found at the bottom of this group of kids.


The next 2 pictures were taken on the last day of school, a few days after the playground was complete. Needless to say, the playground is the highlight of the school right now! I am so glad our family participated in building this for our children & for many others who will walk through the doors of our school in the years to come.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, LaRae! I love the picture of you with the drill-thingy. The playground looks great, especially the rock climbing wall. Is the school as close to the foothills as it looks in the picture? I can't believe how much Ben has changed since I last saw a picture of him. Goodbye toddler - hello little boy!

Micalanne said...

So this is what you've been up to! What a fabulous project! As I read this post I just kept thinking what a great bonding this experience was for your famiy and how you can all call it "Our School" instead of "the kids school". Your children will cherish the memory of having you and Brad work on the playground, specifically, but also the idea of your great commitment to their educational experiences. Can;t wait to hear about all the end of the school year activities that happened at this school!

Micalanne said...

P.S. Katie's brown outfit is soo cute!

Linda said...

What a great experience for all of you! I never would have pictured you with...POWER TOOLS! You may have discovered a new talent!

Jenny said...

What a fun thing to be involved with. I'm sure the everyone involved will remember this for years to come! How great that the families got to help in planning the playground.