Sunday, December 27, 2009

Peaceful Christmas Day

Another Christmas has come and gone, and I am reminded, once again, of how very quickly we pass from one Christmas to the next year after year. As I was putting out my Christmas lights at the beginning of the month, I could have sworn that I had barely put those lights away. And, I know that next year, when I go to once again wrap my trees and bushes with tiny white, red, and green lights, I will, again, swear that I had just packed the lights in their boxes to store in the garage until next year. So it is with everything in our lives, huh? Time marches on and we can either deliberately choose to enjoy it or lose ourselves in the vastness of it.

As I experience the whirlwind of the month of December, I am amazed that amid all the business and craziness that I always seem to surround myself with, there are moments of pure enjoyment when the Christmas spirit abounds. Some of the highlights of this season for me have been singing in the Christmas program at church with our ward choir, visiting Grandma Jo and going to the live nativity in St. George, and going to our friends house to hear their children play amazing music on the piano & then singing Christmas carols as they played their guitars. Every year I promise myself that I am going to get more of my holiday "to-do's" completed by the beginning of the month so that I can just relish the whole season, rather than just tiny glimpses of it, but I never seem to be successful. Perhaps next year . . .

Though I am always a little sad when Christmas day arrives, because I know the season is over, I am also a bit relieved at the fact, that the season
is over. I always love Christmas day because after all the gifts are opened, it is truly a day for peace, quiet, rest, and family. My children, thankfully, don't wake up at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning. We have never opened gifts in the dark, though I know of many families that do. This year we went downstairs about 7:30 am to see all that Santa had brought to our kids and then open our gifts from each other.

I loved the "just woke up" dazed look on Lacey's face. I am pretty sure that a similar picture of me when I was about Lacey's age exists in the archives of the Zobrist family.


Here's Lacey - still dazed - checking out the guitar she got from Santa.
Santa also brought her a Baby Alive.



. . . and later - a little less dazed.


Santa brought Katie an iPod touch - just what she wanted! :)
I think she's growing up - *sniff sniff*



Ben was excited about his Handy Manny motorcycle and helicopters that Santa left for him.

Santa brought Madi speakers for her iPod and some picture frames for framing her photography. I don't have a picture of her with her Santa gifts - but here she is opening a gift from mom & dad.


Daddy bought Ben Rock'em Sock'em Robots. In reality, this gift was for Brad, but we'll just pretend that it's for Ben.


Present time - Christmas morning surprises are the greatest!


Madi claims that she was being really cheesy on purposed when she posed for this picture, but I think she looks really cute.


Katie was very excited to open her new nap blanket.
Madi opened one earlier and Katie was very envious.


After we open presents, Brad always makes a delicious breakfast that includes his semi-famous blueberry pancakes. We feed my mom and dad, and Mike and Karla usually come to join us too. After we eat, we open our presents from my parents. My mom loves to give gifts and we are very grateful recipients. She buys multiple gifts for every member of our family - that's over 30 people! She's a little crazy, I'll admit, but she loves it - can't you tell by that look on her face?


The kids got an extra-special present from Brad and I this year. We bought them a new TV and DVD player and set it up in the playroom so that they can play their Wii games and watch movies.
They have hardly come out of the room since Christmas afternoon.


On Christmas night, we usually go back to my mom and dad's to eat our Christmas Eve leftovers, which we did once again, this year. It's fun to get together and not have to worry a lot of food preparation. I am very thankful for the peaceful Christmas days of my life that have often followed a month of non-stop activities. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Janae said...

Great Christmas documentation. Very nice post:) you have been on a roll. I need to do better! Been working on it tonight but, taking too long. Great pictures:)