Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A funny thing happened in the church nursery

On Monday night we paid a visit to one of Ben's church nursery teachers with a peace offering, so to speak. She would have never asked for such an offering. In fact, when we went to see her, she said "I know what you're doing, and you don't have to." But, really we did.

Ben has 4 lovely women who are all teachers in his nursery class. 3 of them are young grandmas who all still have at least one teenager living at home. They love little children and love being with them each week - especially since they all have grandchildren of nursery age. We feel blessed that he is so happy during nursery Sunday after Sunday. Each week he plays, he snacks (though he usually eats only the goldfish and water, while ignoring fruit and cheese or other such offerings), he prays, he sings, he listens to a lesson. And always, he comes home with a picture that he has colored and on it, a little bug that he has requested that his teacher draw on his paper. I am not sure why he requests a bug, because he doesn't really like bugs all that much, but he requests, and his request is always granted.

So, anyway, there we were, at her front door, ready to make amends. I held a plate of cookies and Ben held a bottle of lemonade with a card attached that read, "In memory of that fateful question, 'do you sit or stand?,'" which Ben then handed to her while delivering his prepared speech, "thank you for being a great nursery teacher." Sister Lee laughed. He husband laughed. We all laughed as we reminisced about the experience the day before. I commented that I was sure that a nursery teacher could write a book about all the experiences in nursery and the Lees agreed. Can you guess the experience? The lemonade with the card attached are both telling clues.

Here's the story with all the ugly details . . . Ben had been in class for a while and realized he needed to head to the potty and fast! They have a little bathroom right in the nursery classroom with a toilet seat that is literally 6 inches from the ground. It's the cutest little toilet - as far as toilets go. Sister Lee went to assist Ben and asked him, "do you sit or stand?," to which Ben replied, "I sit." So he sat, and in a split second, let's just say, Sister Lee didn't know what hit her, but it was as if there was a hose gone wild in that little bathroom and no one could bring it back in control. Then Ben declared in frustration, "oh man, I forgot to point it down." and then, "it's in my hair!" Sadly, Ben's pants and underwear got drenched and the bathroom floor was wet, wet, wet. Sister Lee's skirt was wet, but not wet enough to send her home :)! Luckily it all happened when one meeting was ending and another beginning so Brad was able to take Ben home to change.

Considering that Sister Lee had to wear Ben's pee for the afternoon, we thought the least we could do is take her some cookies and a little lemonade to remind her of the things nursery teachers are willing to do for their students. And next week . . . we will make sure Ben visits the potty before going to class so that he isn't full to the brim right in the middle of class.

9 comments:

Angie said...

That is hilarious! I am currently the nursery leader and am sure glad we don't have a little toilet. They have to go to their parents for help in the bathroom. Thanks for the laugh!

averett's said...

Okay so it is 6:30 in the morning and I am not a morning person at all! But I am sitting a my computer laughing with tears running down my face! What an awesome teacher! I think I would have freaked and ran home to shower!

Angie said...

Oh what a great laugh this morning! Thanks Larae. Perhaps I'm laughing most because my little guy has just discovered the "joy" of directing things other places than the potty. So we constantly have talks about where the pee should go and how he needs to keep it there. Thankfully I don't personally get the spray because he prefers to sit facing the back. Oh the untold joy of boys!

Staci Leach said...

That little story is one for the History Books! At this very moment I'm so happy I don't have a boy! I"d file this one away and bring it back out to print on his senior yearbook page! Don't forget to take a pic of him on the potty to go with that one! Holy Macrel...Still laughing!

dawnae said...

Oh my gosh that poor teacher...I believe that being a good nursery leader gives you the gold key into the celestial kingdom!!!! Wow she earned some brownie points for that!!!! I forgot how hard the pee thing is with boys!!!

dawnae said...

joey starts nursery in November...I just can't believe that!

Anonymous said...

That's very funny. It's so nice to hear so often how much you appreciate your childrens' teachers.

Janae said...

oh dear Ben boy...definitely a golden key for those nursery teachers;)
i've been trying to catch up on your 20 posts that have all magically appeared;)

Linda said...

Don't know how I missed this post for so long. Oh, my goodness. I had a good laugh about this one!